Red pargo, Japanese seabream
- Juveniles mostly observed singly, occasionally in small groups. Adults reported to inhabit areas of soft substrata in deeper waters, only moving inshore to Hong Kong waters for spawning.
- Feeds on fishes and benthic invertebrates.
- Species found to mature at around 23 cm (standard length) for males and 33 cm for females in Hong Kong. Locally, spawning season reportedly from November to February.
- Body colour pink to red dorsally and silvery ventrally, with small bluish dots scattered dorsally.
- Caudal fin forked.
- Fins pinkish, with a thin black margin around edge of caudal fins on larger individuals.
Common Name: Japanese seabream, Red pargo, Red seabream
Family Common Name: Porgies
Scientific Name: Pagrus major ___(Temminck & Schlegel, 1843)
Maximum Length: 100 cm (Standard Length)