- Was introduced to Western Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, documented in 2009 and 2013 studies to cause negative ecological impacts.
- Dorsal spines are venomous. May cause a painful sting and even fatalities.
- Feeds on small fishes and invertebrates. May use pectoral fins to corral prey.
- Body with numerous white-edged blackish to reddish brown vertical bars.
- Prominent, long tentacles above eyes.
- Large and feather-liked pectoral fins, reaching caudal fin, with alternate black and white bands.
- Dorsal, anal and caudal fins with dark dots.
Common Name: Red lionfish, Turkeyfish
Family Common Name: Scorpionfishes
Scientific Name: Pterois volitans ___(Linnaeus, 1758)
Maximum Length: 38 cm (Total Length)