- Occurs singly. Elsewhere, may occur in groups.
- Mainly feeds on plankton.
- Hong Kong is not within the known natural distribution range of the Palette surgeonfish and individuals are suspected to have been artificially introduced.
- Body and head blue.
- On the dorsal side, two thick, black horizontal stripes run across body and join at the posterior end. The first stripe begins from the eye, and the second stripe begins behind pectoral fin.
- Caudal fin yellow with black upper and lower margins.
Common Name: Dory, Palette surgeonfish
Family Common Name: Surgeonfishes
Scientific Name: Paracanthurus hepatus ___(Linnaeus, 1766)
Maximum Length: 31 cm (Total Length)