Terminal phase (male and female):
- Body colouration generally green-bluish made up of dense, fine, pinkish vertical lines on body.
- Head marked with irregular green or purplish-red bands.
- Purple-pink pectoral fins bordered with blue edge.
- Distinct yellow lunate caudal fin.
- Males are more bluish overall particularly the head.
Initial phase (juvenile):
- Body greenish brown dorsally, bluish white ventrally.
- A dark spot marks middle of dorsal fin and on caudal peduncle.
- Transparent-white truncate caudal fin.