Hong Kong grouper
- Maximum recorded age is 19 years.
- Used to be very common in Hong Kong’s eastern waters in the 1960s. It is now a rare species.
- Females can change sex to male, but males are found to change sex back to female under a laboratory environment.
- Head and body brownish grey with numerous red, orange or gold spots.
- Several faint diagonal dark bars on body may be visible in most individuals.
- A dark blotch at mid dorsal fin base.
Common Name: Hong Kong grouper, Red grouper
Family Common Name: Groupers
Scientific Name: Epinephelus akaara ___(Temminck & Schlegel, 1842)
Maximum Length: 58 cm (Total Length)