- Generally observed singly, occasionally in small groups feeding in sandy bottoms.
- Feeds on crustaceans, fish, mollusks and worms.
- In Vietnam, females reported to attain sexual maturity by 10.2 cm (Fork Length).
- Body colouration light brownish-grey dorsally to white ventrally with reddish-brown speckling.
- A red to dark brown horizontal band runs from snout through eye to mid-base of caudal fin.
- Large dark spot at tips of both dorsal fins and lobes of caudal fin with transverse dark bands.
- A pair of yellow movable barbels.
- Individual can also change body colouration into slightly whitish with strong mottling of reddish blotches and spots.
Common Name: Freckled goatfish
Family Common Name: Goatfishes
Scientific Name: Upeneus tragula ___(Richardson, 1846)
Maximum Length: 30 cm (Total Length)