Usually occurs singly.
Mainly feeds on fishes and crustaceans.
Can mature at around 12 cm (Standard Length).
Can live to at least 19 years old in wild.
Reported to be one of the most commonly observed groupers throughout its native
distribution in the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean.
- Body colour variable: individuals may appear red, white, brown or greenish grey.
- Some individuals are red from nape to upper jaw but with a white or pale body.
- Some individuals possess a pale head with irregular red markings.
- Usually with several vertical dark orange-red bands on body.
- Dorsal fin spines with black tip.
Common Name: Blacktip grouper
Family Common Name: Groupers
Scientific Name: Epinephelus fasciatus ___(Forsskål, 1775)
Maximum Length: 40 cm (Total Length)